- Form Registration – 7:30 am
- Lessons commence – 8:00 am
- School ends – 2:30 pm Mondays – Thursdays and 1pm on Fridays.
The secondary section has four departments. These departments are well staffed with qualified and experienced teachers:
- Department of Mathematics and Science – 14 teachers
- Department of Languages – 10 teachers
- Department of Vocational studies – 8 teachers
- Department of Humanities – 11 teachers
The Section is led by the Head of Secondary and he is supported by two Assistants – Academics and Administration. We also have male and female Guidance Counsellors.
The school teaches a fusion of the British and the Nigerian curricula. This is achieved by integrating the British curriculum into the Nigerian curriculum. These curricula prepare our students to enter for the following examinations:
• Key stage 3
1. Checkpoint examination organized by Cambridge University
2. Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) organised by the National Examinations Council (NECO)
• Key stage 4
1. IGCSE organised by Cambridge
2. West African Senior Secondary School Examinations organised by WAEC
3. Senior Secondary Certificate Examinations organised by NECO
4. SAT (optional)
secondary school is organised into the following year groups:
1. Year 7
2. Year 8
3. Year 9
4. Year 10
5. Year 11
6. Year 12
There are 4 arms in each year group.
Educational Excursions Tours and Visits
At Central Emirates International Academy Abuja, educational excursions, visits and trips are undertaken both locally and internationally. The purpose of these excursions, visit and trips is to enable the students learn in a fun and relaxing way, and interact with people from other countries to build friendships, enhance social skills and gain cultural insights.
educational excursions, visits and trips are organised in accordance with the
school calendar as prepared by every faculty. They include:
• National trips such as National Youth Leadership Conference (NYLC), held at University of Abuja
• The Nigerian International Schools Model United Nations (NISSMUN) Annual Conference held at the International Conference Centre, Abuja
• National Youth Summit On Drugs/ Substance Prevention, held at the former SGF Conference Hall, Federal Secretariat, Phase 1, Abuja
• Excursion to Nigeria’s Historical monuments in Badagry, Lagos.
• Excursion to Obudu Cattle Range, Cross River State
• National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA) to find out the current trends and development in Space Science.
• Excursion to Central Bank of Nigeria at the Currency Museum/Gallery
• Excursion to Gurara Waterfalls, Niger State.
These activities provide a channel for enhancing and extending lessons learned in the classroom. They offer the students the opportunity to apply academic skills in a real world context as part of our holistic educational programme.
The following are the extra-curricular activities provided by the Secondary Section of the school:
Intensive Support Programme (ISP)
This programme is organised to support learners to improve on their academic achievements. Teaching takes place with a maximum of fifteen students per group.
In the Orchestra Club, students practise how to play different musical instruments as individuals and as a group. Our orchestra group consists of piano, violin, viola, guitar and saxophone. Other instruments are added according to students’ interests and type of music being played.
The Drama Club targets talented and artistic students in the secondary and gives them a positive environment to showcase their skills. It is also an avenue to boost self-confidence as the members are expected to perform on the stage in front of an audience.
During club time, members spend time improvising, acting charades, rehearsing or watching movies to serve as models which will help them during their own performances.
The Sports Club provides activities which offer opportunities for students to learn the values of teamwork, individual and group responsibility, physical strength and endurance, healthy competition, acceptance of diversity and a sense of belonging to culture and community.
Physical exercise is good for the mind, body and spirit. Furthermore, team sports are good for dedication, and leadership among many other skills and values.
The benefits of participating in sports are to help our students to stay in shape, teach them how to organise their time, boost friendships, and build relationships with peers and adults.
The Secondary learning environment is designed to ensure the smooth transition into Nigerian or foreign higher education institutions. This includes well equipped, air conditioned classrooms; a well-resourced library; modern Science Labs; an ICT Suite with access to interactive whiteboards and the latest technology; laptops for students; a modern cafeteria; a multipurpose hall; outdoor football pitch and tennis courts; and ample school grounds for our extensive programme of outdoor learning activities.
All boarding students live in the school hostels on campus. There are separate hostels for boys and girls. Each hostel is supervised by qualified boarding staff who ensure the welfare of all children under their care.
There is a stimulating programme of activities that make life out of school socially stimulating and educational. We provide a home where students learn how to care for themselves, their rooms, their belongings and care for the larger community in which they live.
We believe that all students should have the feeling of being home-away-from-home. We have well equipped and fully furnished accommodation which is air-conditioned for the comfort of our students. Students have access to study areas, reading materials, board games, DSTV as well as laundry and ironing facilities. The dormitories are of different sizes with rooms ranging from 4 to 10 students.
Home school partnership is essential to our success. Parents and Guardians should always feel free to contact the school to discuss issues affecting their child/ward. We have an open door policy, so please feel free to contact us at any time. The happiness and wellbeing of all of our students is our upmost priority.