The importance of physics to the advancement of man’s society is just unquantifiable. Physics involves the study of matter and its motion through space and time along with related concepts such as energy and force. And also physics is the general analysis of nature, conducted in order to understand how universe behaves. It also creates a foundation for other natural sciences.
Newton, Galileo and Einstein have all been called “fathers of modern physics” Newton was called this because of his famous law of motion and gravitation, Galileo for his role in the scientific revolution and his contribution on observational revolution of astronomy and Einstein for his ground breaking theory of relativity.
Physics as a fundamental branch of science has five major branches which are:
- Classical mechanic: this often referred to as New Tonian mechanics” which deal on model of forces acting upon bodies.
- Thermodynamics and statistical mechanical: deals with the effect of changes in temperature pressure and volume on physical systems on the macroscopic scale and the transfer of energy as heat.
- Electromagnetism: is a branch of physics which involves the study of the electromagnetic force, a type of physical interaction that occurs between electrically charged particles.
- Relativity: relativity studies the dependence of various physical phenomenons on relative motion of the deserved objects, especially regarding the nature and behavior of light, space time and gravity.
- Quantum Mechanic: Deals with physics of treating atomic and sub-atomic system and their interaction with radiation.
Physics plays a crucial role in driving innovational advancement of new technology, some of the ways physics and physics – businesses are contributing meaningfully to our society are:
- Physics inspires young people and expands the frontier of our knowledge about nature.
- Physics generate fundamental knowledge needed for the future technological advancement that will drive the economic engines of the world.
- Physics contributes to the technological infrastructure and provides trained personnel needed to take advantage of scientific advance and discourses.
- Physics extends and enhances understanding of other discipline such as the earth, agriculture, chemical, biological and environmental science plus astrophysics and cosmology, which are subjects of substantial importance to all individuals and societies of the world.
- Physics improves our quality of life by providing necessary developmental and instrumentation techniques.
Some powerful career prospects of students studying physics are
- Accelerator operator
- Applications engineering
- Applications engineering
- Data analysts
- Design engineering
- High school physics teacher
- I.T consultant
- Lab technician
- Laser engineer
- Optical engineering
- Research associate
- Software developer
- Systems analyst
- Technical specialist
- Web developer etc
All fields of work of man is directly or indirectly associated with physics, in respect to this interconnection of the subject to the society at large, this is the reason Central Emirates International Academy Anagada, Abuja has one of the most equipped physics laboratories in the country to enhance students with quality practical knowledge for sustainable national development
Mr. Itodo Daniel Eneojo
(Physics Teacher) CEIA